ITAM News & Analysis
Event: Cost Management in a Recession
30 April 2009
1 minute read
Software Licence Management vendor Aspera held a “Cost Management” seminar in Frankfurt back in late March.
Their main take-away points for managing software costs in a recession are summarised below.
Increasing employee awareness is an important point because it really sends out a message that the IT Department are ‘doing their bit’ to save the company money.
- Procurement – Increase the utilization of existing assets e.g. purchasing updates instead of more expensive full versions
- Centralise Procurement if you have not done so already
- Capitilize – facilitate the full use of existing software, take advantage of free updates, offload those applications which are not required.
- Avoid demand based or ‘Just in Time’ Purchasing
Increase Employee Awareness and Sense of Responsibility
- Offer incentive schemes to employees for prudent use of software, be transparent about costs, apply a manager approval process for new software
- Offer Alternatives – free software, used software, rented / SaaS applications
Aspera repeat the event in Chicago on the 7th May, further details can be found here